Saturday, April 08, 2006

Mental Breakthrough!
I have had an ongoing dilema. I know that I'm a quality person. I even think I qualify as interesting and quirky. I value my friendships and relationships.
That being said, I still tend to be shy. I get anxious meeting new people. And being in a big group- forget it. I get so overwhelmed that I imagine myself to be invisible. I've been socially mentally handicapped.

I decided to tackle this issue the other day and searched for sources in the library that would help me in social arena. I picked the audio book up a few hours before a dreaded large mommy's group event. I listened to it for about 10 minutes and was determined to remember all of the tricks of the social trade.

When I arrived at the event, it was as though I had stage fright and the 10 min. prep session seemed to vanish from my social arsenal. I was so panicked to talk to the new moms that one of the first things I said was that I listened to a book to teach me how to talk to new people. I thought I made a foot-in-mouth error.

A few hours after the event, I received an email from one of the moms. She said that it was nice to meet me and that I made her feel at ease. WHO? ME? ME? I was the idiot that broadcasted the fact that I am socially inadequate.

Well, I guess I came upon my own tip for socialization...one that I know wasn't in the book. Break the ice with a self deprecating statement in a comical kind of way. (though I didn't think I came off as comical) I unknowingly made the other moms feel more at ease with me by clumsily admitting my "prep session".

Also keep in mind, I wrote an almost identical email to a mom a week ago. So not only did I stumble upon a social lifevest, but I received the same compliment I had circulated prior to the event.

Wow! Craziness has worked to my advantage! =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Leave your Mark FREE GUESTBOOKS View Graffiti

webhosting